Title: Democratic Party of Artsakh
Founded on: April 01, 2000
Central office: 68 G. Nzhdeh St, Stepanakert, Nagorno Karabakh Republic
The number of members: 2017 (as of November, 2014)
Official web-site: www.dpa.am
The Democratic Party of Artsakh – is one of the influential political parties of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic. The Party supports independence of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic. The main goal of the Party is building in the NKR democratic society based on the separation of powers and on the basis of justice and rule of law.
In 2000 “The Union Democratic Artsakh” public movement was created in Nagorno Karabakh. During parliamentary elections of 2000 “The Union Democratic Artsakh” received the majority of seats in the National Assembly of Artsakh. Following the adoption of the law “On Political Parties” and on the eve of the upcoming parliamentary elections, in the summer of 2005, “The Union Democratic Artsakh” announced about its reorganization into the Democratic Party of Artsakh (Artsakh – self-name of Nagorno Karabakh). Chairman of the Central Council of the party was elected Ashot Ghulyan. The founding congress of the party was held on January 31, 2005.
Since 2001 the weekly newspaper “Hayreniq” (Homeland) has been issued.
On June 21, 2014 the Democratic Party of Artsakh has held its fourth Congress which was attended by the delegation of the European Free Alliance.
AIMS & GOALS
- Facilitation of the recognition of the independence of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
- The adoption of the Constitution (the Constitution was adopted in December, 2006)
- Respect for human rights and freedoms
- Support for the establishment of social justice
The supreme body of party is the Congress, which in accordance with the provisions of the Law “On Political Parties” and the Statute of the DPA is convened every 2 years. In the period between the Congresses the Party is led by the Central Council, which is elected in the Congress and consists of 25 members. The primary organizations are active in all areas of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic and in many towns across the country.
In each district, and district center operates regional organization with the district council and created primary organizations:
- Stepanakert City Organization
- Askeran region: 1 district organization and 41 primary organizations
- Martuni region: 1 district organization and 15 primary organizations
- Martakert region: 1 district organization and 26 primary organizations
- Hadrout region: 1 district organization and 12 primary organizations
- Shushi region: 1 district organization and 3 primary organizations
- Kashatagh region: 1 district organization and 21 primary organizations
- Shahoumyan region: 1 district organization and 7 primary organizations.
RESULTS OF ELECTIONS
Following the results of the 2005 parliamentary elections the Democratic Party has won seven single-mandate seats and 5 seats through the proportional lists, thus obtaining a relative majority in the parliament.
In the May 23, 2010 parliamentary elections to the National Assembly of the NKR the Democratic Party of Artsakh got 10 parliamentary mandates/seats.
In May 3, 2015 the Democratic Party of Artsakh got 6 seats in the National Assembly of the 6th convocation of the Republic of Artsakh.